Built in 1817, the British Garrison Cemetery, Kandy is one of the most intriguing and historically significant highlights in the hill capital, and also a reminder of Sri Lanka’s colonial heritage. The cemetery is maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and serves as the last resting place of 19th century colonialist as well as World War II heroes. The cemetery also contains the tombstone of Sir John D’Oyly, the mastermind behind the British invasion of Kandy back in 1815.