The Oliphant Bungalow
In the year 1838, Sir Anthony Oliphant (8th Chief Justice of Ceylon) bought a massive land in Shanthipura which is known to be the highest elevated village in Sri Lanka (7,600 feet above sea level). Sir Oliphant expanded this land to officially establish The Oliphant Tea estate in Ceylon where James Taylor (known as the Father of Tea) began selling processed tea and thus making the country’s tea world renowned.
Later in 1876, Sir Anthony’s son, Laurence Oliphant built the Oliphant Bungalow. Oliphant overlooks Piduruthalagala (the tallest mountain in Sri Lanka) and the Kikiliyamanna mountain range. Nestled in this highest peak, the average temperature in the area is between 06°C to 16°C.
When you step into this colonial charming property you will feel complete privacy and the homely feel you are looking for. Keeping you warm and cozy are the many fireplaces set inside the hallway, restaurant and rooms.
About The Oliphant
• This charming British bungalow is newly renovated to maintain its old glory and fully restored with a modern homely feeling of yesteryear.
• There are 07 spacious Luxury Rooms starting at 361 square feet.
• The King sized four poster beds bring out the typical rustic English charm
• Guests have connection to the Cable TV and free Wi-Fi
Restaurants & Bars
• Guests can dine indoors or in the open garden
• Choose from a Set Menu or a-la-carte of a typical colonial meal fusioned with modern interpretations.
• Open daily from 6:30am to 9:30am, 12:30pm to 2:30pm and 7:30pm to 10:00pm. Can seat upto to 20 indoors and 100 persons in the garden.
Activities & Fitness
• Carom, dart, chess and playing cards.
• Guests can go on a morning jog in the tea estate.
• Trekking to Nanu Oya Station (2 hours) where guests can see the Maskeliya, Adams Peak, Agarapathana mountain range or even observe the day to day work at the Oliphant Tea Estate.
• Guests can have a full firsthand experience to the world of Ceylon Tea as they are taken on a personal tour of the Pedro Tea Estate. They will get to know the history of how tea was grown in these lands, how the pluckers picked the finest of the leaves to be sent to the factory that then produced the best teas to be shipped across the globe. At the end of the tour, guests can sip on a freshly brewed tea at the factory itself and can even take their favourite flavor back home.
Events & Functions
• We can accommodate a group less than 20 people for a function in the restaurant
• The garden can accommodate large parties depending on the climate.
• Piduruthalagala (45 mins drive)
• Nuwara Eliya view point (5 mins drive)
• Ambewela farm
• Ambewela wind power project
• Ambewela Strawberry farm
• Little England of Nuwara Eliya and Gregory Lake
• Hakgala Botanical Gardens (30 mins drive)
• Pedro Tea Factory, Lover’s Leap Waterfall and the Moon Plains at the Pedro Estate (30 mins drive)
• Horse races, Motor races during the season in the Nuwara Eliya town
• The Nuwera Eliya Golf Club
• Trek to World’s End in Horton Plains
• The coldest month of the year tends to be January while the hottest is in March, and the humidity is generally between 30% and 50%.
• The monsoon season lasts from April through to August with temperatures ranging from 06°C to 16°C. The weather just as in UK is unpredictable during this season, and rainfall is at its highest. The inter-monsoon period is from September through November, during which there is light rain.
• The driest season lasts from December until March and the temperatures remains between 12°C and 20°C. During this period, the climate becomes very chilly in the night.
Guests travelling to Nuwara Eliya upon arrival to Sri Lanka will begin their journey from Bandaranaike International Airport. Taxi service to and from the airport can be arranged by the Bungalow. Travel time from the airport will be 5 hours to 5 and half hours with a distance of 159 kilometres
Get a 30% discount when you make your booking 90 days prior to arrival.
Stay period: 1st April to 30th June 2018
- Rates quoted on our website already include the special offer and conditions.
- This offer is applicable per room type, per day.
- This offer is valid upon room availability.