Here are the legal requirements of hosting a wedding at Amaya Lake. From selecting a non-denominational wedding ceremony to a traditional Sri Lankan Poruwa ceremony, aspects such as the presence of a marriage registrar / celebrant must also be resolved in advance. Contact the reservations desk for more details on the legal necessities of organizing a destination wedding in Dambulla and the services provided by the resort in this regard.



Couples can choose a non-denominational civil service conducted by a Celebrant, with or without a Registrar for the legalisation, and / or a traditional Buddhist ‘Poruwa’ ceremony. The more colourful ‘Poruwa’ ceremony can be tailored to your requirements.


Note: You cannot have a formal Christian wedding ceremony in a garden in Sri Lanka, only civil services or Buddhist ceremony. You can have a Christian blessing by a clergyman; however, you will need to be in Sri Lanka months prior to meet with the minister. Services conducted by a Celebrant will take approximately 25 minutes with spoken vows and readings, and traditional Buddhist ceremonies will take up to 45 minutes. The choice is entirely yours.



Weddings can be conducted from Monday to Saturday excluding bank holidays. The couple must be 18 years or over. There is a minimum residency of five days, i.e. couples must be in Sri Lanka at least three days prior to the wedding day. Parental consent is required if under 21.



Your wedding certificate will be issued in Sinhala and will need to be translated into English in order for it to be legally recognised in your own country. In most cases the Sinhala wedding certificate can be issued immediately, the English translation can take up to three days.


It is then required that this certificate, as well as the original Marriage Certificate (in Sinhala) be taken to the Consular Section of the Ministry of External Affairs in Colombo, along with the following paperwork:


A statement that you are unmarried and therefore able to get married in Sri Lanka, issued by the local authority where you are resident.

Copy of your Passport, along with a copy of the Tourist Visa issued on arrival in Sri Lanka.


If someone is making this application on your behalf, they will need a letter of authority – see “Letter of Authority” attached – signature on letter of Authority should be the same as on Passport.


After approval from the Ministry of External Affairs in Colombo, it is then required that your paperwork be taken to the consular / embassy of the country that has issued your passport, for further verification.


We can organize all of this for you and since each country charges a different amount for this all couples will be advised as to this cost on a one off basis.


Once completed, the paperwork will be couriered to you, for safekeeping.

* For more details contact us at or +94 814 940 320


The following documentation is required in advance:

  • Birth certificate(s).
  • Your passport.
  • An affidavit signed by a solicitor/statutory declaration to confirm who you are and your present status (un-married).
  • The affidavit (Unmarried Certificate) or Divorced Certificate as appropriate should be certified by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (for British nationals) and legalised by the Sri Lanka High Commission, London. The fee applicable for certification is £.15/- per document. For other nationals the document should be certified by their respective Foreign Ministries.
  • If divorced, a decree absolute
  • If widowed, the death certificate of your late spouse and your previous marriage certificate.
  • If you have changed your name, a deed poll (including divorcees who have reverted to their maiden names).
  • If adopted, an adoption certificate
  • If under 18 years of age, evidence of parental consent in the form of a statutory declaration.